Tuesday, November 20, 2012








Coastal Stormy Weather


LINCOLN CITY, Ore. _ A thrashing pre-dawn rain buffeted the southwest side of our friends’ beach house at Road’s End.
Brrrr!
I rubbed Nora the Schnauzer with a towel, took off my boots and dangled my rain coat on a door knob. I followed Nora up the stairs and through the softly lit living-dining room to the bright kitchen.
Darlene had water heating and bagels warming.
“A  big ol’ black-tail buck browsed next door,” I said.
Alas, I didn’t have Nora on a leash yet. She took off after the deer that bounded off, and I screamed her back.
Then we wandered to the beach and almost blew away.
Yet, Nora went one and two.
Anyway, still dressed in socks and sweat suit, I poured steaming water into the coffee press and stirred. Java seeped while I poured orange juice and drifted to the windows along the upper deck.
A swirling mist dimmed the ocean’s hazy, rolling waves. I pondered the rhythmic thump of grey surf.  
Darlene carried coffee and a pair of two-pound bagels, spread with layers of cream cheese on halves, to the breakfast table.
Nora lay on the carpet, her chin on her front paws. Her brows wiggled. White edges showed as shifting brown eyes tracked the bagels.
Nora savors bagels with cream cheese.
After dining,  we settled in for a cozy day.
Some call it “hunkering down.”
After two hours we gave up on cozy and hunkering.
I dressed, loaded two cameras into the truck, and we headed to the Tanger outlet mall in wind and rain.
Darlene shopped.
Then, ignoring wind and rain, I drove 50 miles to Tillamook. Darlene shopped at Fred Meyer, Blue Heron and Tillamook cheese factories.
Nora used a nearby pet area.
Wind and rain aside, we took the Three Capes Route, via  Cape Meares, Cape Lookout and Cape Kiwanda.
Road work eliminated Cape Meares.
We drove over the hill to Netarts Bay where a brown pelican skimmed the water 20 feet away.
We stopped at Cape Lookout State Park. Nora and I  spent a somber hour among the damp trees above the darkening beach. We got soaked. When I aimed the camera toward the sea, driven rain spotted the wide lens.
Finally, nagged by hunger, we went over the cape and downhill toward Pacific City and Cape Kiwanda.
At the beach, the rain ceased but not the wind.
I whipped into the vast, empty Pelican Pub beach-side parking lot and let Nora out.
Her ears flapped like hairy wings as I bustled after her. Wind buffeted me northward from the truck toward the steep, sandy cape while Nora sailed in widening circles over the sand. She paused once to welcome an elderly man onto the beach, the only new person she saw.
We passed on dining at The Pelican Pub and sped south to dine again at McMenamins Lighthouse Brewpub at Road’s End.
I considered the Hammerhead Ale but chose my second mellow Terminator Stout with a Distillers Salad in two days.
Darlene opted for the usual diet Coke with  Alehouse Fish and Chips instead of her earlier Oyster Po’ Boy sandwich.
As darkness arrived, we paused at Safeway for chocolate chunk cookies and chocolate milk before hunkering down for the night.

No comments: